Graphic of the lead banner (12′ x 3′) at the parade hosted in Birmingham donated by Patriotism in Action thanks to a grant from the Mike and Gillian Goodrich Foundation to Life Leaders. Grandchildren of Founder Raymond Weeks often carry the banner.
To provide resources for teachers, journalists, historians, and speakers to educate leaders and students on who, where, and why National Veterans Day started.
We improve from 1% of US citizens knowing the “who, where, why” for starting Veterans Day to 100% of Americans who attend school learning this national history.
- Add the missing content to lesson plans so teachers will know and be able to teach this history and character education that affects character traits development.
- Help veteran organizations to inform members of this information.
- Help event planners know of historic reasons for selecting Veterans Day sites.
Popular Resources we provide for your use:
- Photo of Weeks petitioning General Eisenhower-Weeks at The Pentagon for “National Veterans Day 1947” on November 11, 1946 (at right)
- Patriotism in Action book tells how Veterans Day started and offers 10 character traits
- U.S. Senate Veterans Day Resolution
- Veterans Day Started in Alabama poster for schools, city halls, tourism, veterans groups
- View the Veterans Day Founding Education video play list on Life Leaders TV, including:
- TV-Video clips of President Reagan and Raymond Weeks at the White House 1982
- Full speech by President Reagan presenting the Presidential Citizens Medal to Raymond Weeks at the White House and more in his speech to the nation on Veterans Day 1982 (purchased from the White House)
- Video of the Veterans Day Question on the TV show “Jeopardy”
- Dr. Dyson video of PSA by Troy TV for Veterans Day 2012
- Troy TV show hosts Dr. Dyson telling how Veterans Day started in Alabama
- We tell the Veterans Day Founding story at events you can attend presented by our Patriotism in Action program, which include Personal Leadership for Patriots, Tribute to the Founder of Veterans Day, and Memorial Day.
Birmingham and Alabama hosted the first national Veterans Day observance in 1947 and has been a model for the nation. We share highlights about traditional and special events to tell more of the story and offer ideas to Veterans Day organizers throughout America
Excerpts from Patriotism in Action Book, Handouts, and Presentations (PDFs)
- General Eisenhower and Raymond Weeks
- President Reagan and Raymond Weeks
- National Veteran Award
- Character Traits Founding Veterans Day
- PowerPoint Presentation on Veterans Day
at Personal Leadership for Patriots 2016
- Boy Scout Presentation on the Founding of Veterans Day
and School Character Traits–Summary of Contents & Results
Posters are displayed in many schools, city halls, and veterans chapters by patriots reminding members and guests Veterans Day started here, significance to students, and why we lead.
5 character traits supported by this history adopted by Alabama and some other states:
5 more character traits we recommend:
A case of misinformation and hurt feelings that can happen when we do not teach and brand this national history… with a happy ending
These photos were taken at a Hoover school event for fourth graders that happened after the teacher of the girls sent home a lesson plan she found on the Internet that Veterans Day started in Kansas in 1953. The 10-year-old twins and great-grandchildren of the Founder Raymond Weeks were confused and embarrassed because they had been taught and told others of their great-grandfather starting Veterans Day in Birmingham in 1947. Grandmother (Barbara Weeks Minor) was understandably upset that this teaching could occur at an Alabama school and called me for help. Continue Reading…
Left: This display can be seen in the Veterans Shrine at The American Village. We gladly provided photos and documents and appreciate this addition to the fabric of education. Right: The U.S. Senate approved the official role of Alabama and Raymond Weeks for starting America’s Veterans Day through a Resolution (PDF) signed in 2012.
Handout for Veterans Day Founding (Click to enlarge or print PDF)
Handout or Ad World Peace Luncheon 2015 (Click to enlarge or print PDF)
Content in Presentations available for educational programs and events
- The launch of America’s Veterans Day led by Weeks & Alabama 1945-54:
- President Eisenhower’s leadership 1946-54
- President Reagan honoring Weeks as the “driving force” 1982 (White House video)
- 10 Character Traits to Teach for Veterans Day, Rights, and Freedom
- The campaign to restore Alabama’s legacy as for Veterans Day with US Resolution
- Resources teachers in the USA can use to teach Veterans Day History and Character
- Case for teaching why and where Veterans Day started to students in U.S. school
Request a speaker for an event to inform and inspire!